Historic property of over 2800 square meters with undisputed charm, made famous by the fairy tale of Pinocchio where Geppetto built his fake son with wood given by Mastro Cigliegia. Walking in the private park of 30,000 square meters you have the feeling of entering another reality made of charm and history. Directors and actors spent periods of leisure inspired by the villa for scripts. The artistic value is remarkable, the current state of conservation requires some recovery interventions.
Sesto Fiorentino is strategically positioned, just 10 kilometers from the center of Florence. Its territory is very varied and extends from the Monte Morello massif to the Osmannoro plain. The area is full of workshops and factories that operate in different production sectors: from ceramics to soaps, from food to straw.
The villa, surrounded by a large park, whose roots date back to the 14th century, when the Florentine Cappelli family owned it for a long time, passing through several generations, until the captain Niccolò Cappelli died in 1654 and his heirs find themselves having to pay many debts and decide to sell the property in 1656. Of the Cappelli family, a fourteenth-century coat of arms remains today walled on the ceiling of the cave that joins the two islets in the park lake, a coat of arms recovered during the major renovation works of the villa.
The current appearance is probably due to an intervention by the architect Giuseppe Poggi. The building has been the subject of continuous and reworking over the centuries; the severe appearance and the monumental dimensions of today derive largely from the interventions carried out by the last family of owners. In 1904 the maps show the villa for the first time in its current layout, a long rectangle in front of which the park and avenues stand out.
It has an area of 2836 square meters and overlooks the park, developing on three levels in addition to the turret. The ground floor is a continuous succession of halls with high ceilings and imposing windows, frescoes from the 1600s and 1700s, you can admire works by Annibale Gatti and a unique stone cave placed entirely within the historic home. The large industrial kitchen is at the service for parties, events and receptions. The cellars until the second half of the nineteenth century made up the ground floor, now transformed to accommodate guests. The first and second floors are characterized by large volumes, currently a part is home to the museum named after Pinocchio. A chapel still preserves the original furnishings and in one of the internal courtyards there is a small nymphaeum which recalls the cave. Renovations are needed and the current internal partition status can be changed
The park has a romantic flavor, with the large lake of almost 30000 square meters, in which stands a 400 square meter islet where there is a pier with a cave. The rest of the park, built in the second half of the nineteenth century and designed by the architect Giuseppo Poggi, is created with avenues and fountains both in front of the villa and in the woods.
State and finishes
Internal renovation works are needed to restore the period residence to its former glory. The villa is characterized by an important nymphaeum built in the late 600s, some modern interventions can be seen in the additions of stucco, frescoes by Guido Dolci from Prato embellish the environment. The allegorical paintings by Annibale Gatti, frescoes by Tommaso Gherardini and Vincenzo Meuzzi. The floors are almost all in Palladian laid in the early twentieth century
Possibility to intercept a vein of hot water that reaches Monsummano Terme up to Prato, easy to transform into an extra luxury spa. Perfect as a representative residence or to transform into a boutique hotel or even wanting in the luxury real estate complex for a few condominiums